University of Dundee
The University of Dundee began as the University College, Dundee Scotland in 1881. Its purpose as an independent academic institution was in ‘promoting the education of persons of both sexes and the study of Science, Literature and the Fine Arts’. University College was then incorporated by the University of St Andrews in 1897.
Despite undergoing many changes since its independence in 1967, the university has adhered to its basic objective to: “transform lives locally and globally through the creation, sharing and application of knowledge.”
Evidence of this objective is seen in the University’s excellence achieved in teaching and research, the contributions it makes to the social, economic and cultural life of Scotland and the world and the influence it exerts on the future by solving important real-life issues.
- The University of Dundee’s education programmes are ranked in the world’s top 50 according to the QS World University rankings and ranked 3rd in the UK according to the Complete University Guide of 2019.
- The University is placed within the Top 30 universities in the UK (The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019.
- It is ranked in the world’s top 250 universities according to Times Higher Education, 2018.
- The university scored 89.6% for overall average satisfaction, among its students on the latest International Student Barometer. This is one of the highest scores achieved by a Scottish university, 2nd highest score in the UK and 6th highest internationally.
- It is only one of 12 universities in the UK to be awarded a Gold Award in Teaching Excellence in 2017. This award firmly places Dundee amongst a group of exclusive British universities that are licensed to use this Teaching Excellence Framework Gold award for the following 3 years.
- The University of Dundee achieved top spot in the UK for Childhood Practice (Others in Education) according to the National Student Survey 2017.
- It is the first Scottish university to be ranked among the top 25 most innovative universities in Europe (Reuter’s Europe’s Most Innovative Universities 2017).